Sunday 27 December 2009

Jeddah: A horrible flood great people

I've just completed my second day of tutoring Saudi's first Certified Anti Money Laundering Officer (CAMO) course and as with all the best courses the delegates are participating and appear to be enjoying themselves.

So like the other participants, I'm starting to relax and in between the discussions on SARs, AML Enterprise Risk Management and an unexpected trip to highly proficient local dentist I'm beginning to form an impression of this large city.

Most of you will recall that Jeddah, apart from being the traditional access to Mecca, recently suffered severe flash floods that that killed over 100, ( the link is to a BBC news site with a brief video clip), during the Haj. Now as you travel the City there is still evidence of the recent damage (real pot holes and the debris left from the flood waters and big big traffic jams).

Nevertheless I've been impressed by the courtesy and helpfulness of the denizens of this city who have been unfailing helpful me. They have gone out of their way to help and to ensure the success of this event and I found myself wondering whether there is a truism here.

Just as in AML it is the people who the critical component for success so it is with cities. You can damage the infrastructure and nature can and will remind you how powerful she is, but in the end, is a city actually just the sum of its people? I'd link to think so.

No comments: